Friday, January 23, 2009

New Year's Recap and Kamryn's lack of eating...

I will say for myself that I always have good intentions to take pictures when I go places...I take my camera with me pretty much everywhere I go. However, the bringing of the camera does not automatically mean that I will actually bring it out from the depths of my purse and use it. New Year's was one of those occasions where it never saw the light of day. Yet, I would still like to mention the evening for documenting purposes. We had a great time at my sister's house laughing hysterically while playing "Mad Gab!" We ate some of the best pork tamales I have ever had (which isn't many, but still props to these great tamales from LA that my bro.-in-law ordered). We rang in the New Year with New York for the kids and put them to bed and then enjoyed the rest of the evening with the adults playing games, eating great snacks and watching Dick Clark once again. He never quits, does he? Anyway, Happy Belated New Years everyone!
















So, on to Kamryn's eating issues. It would look from this picture that she is actually doing quite well. Well, the week I took this picture I discovered the key to get Kamryn to eat other foods besides PB&J's and "patitas" (quesadillas or tortillas). I was making myself eggs one morning when I thought it would be fun to get Kamryn involved in the cooking process. She helped me stir and flavor the eggs and watched me cook them and when I was done, I asked her if she wanted to eat some and she said "yes." I held my breath as I put some in a bowl for her and almost started crying when she took her first bite and didn't spit it out. She went on to finish her bowl of eggs and ask for more. I was soooo excited. I made Sloppy Joe's the following evening for dinner and decided to get her involved once again. Hence, the picture you see. Kamryn eating her sloppy joe. I thought I had unlocked the world to Kamryn's eating habits...but it hasn't happened again. Jason attempted the same thing with Fettucine Alfredo and no luck, then I tried again with some other things and again no luck. So, I feel like we are back to square one. I'll still keep her involved with cooking because I think its important to spend that time with her and its educational...however, I need more tricks. Any ideas from you parents out there who have kids who actually eat there dinner? I could use some before I completely lose my sanity.

11 comments:

Jarom and Melissa said...

Good luck with the whole eating process. I'm enjoying that Bryson will eat anything we put in front of him besides peas and black beans. I don't know what to tell you since I haven't gone through this myself, but if you do find the key that unlocks her eating, let us all know for future reference. Good luck! Glad you had a fun New Year's.
-- Melissa

Anonymous said...

You do have some good ideas. It's a constant problem and I still have it with JJ. He would probably eat crackers every night for dinner if I let him. Sometimes I call things like , "Shrek food" for brocoli because he thinks it will make him big like Shrek. Somedays he eats a lot and other days he doesn't eat much. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless the doctor gets worried.

Grace said...

I know kamryn doesn't need it but, I really think the pediasure helped boost jack's appetite.... I gave him his first one and the next day he was eating better. I haven't bought anymore because they're expensive but he was drinking one a day for a little over a week and is still eating much better than before. But it could just be a coincidence....i never know anything...forget it.

Kristyn Crow said...

I wouldn't worry too much. As long as she's happy, thriving, weighs the proper amount for her height and age, and is healthy in every other way, I wouldn't stress too much about her food fussiness. This is pretty normal for her age. Give her lots of things to choose from and have her help with cooking whenever she likes. Kids at this age are not going to allow themselves to starve (unless they're ill). Have her weight and growth checked at the doctor and if everything is normal, don't worry. Just keep offering her plenty of healthy choices and she'll eat when her body needs it.

Taryn said...

I actually have a couple of different suggestions...
1. modify dinner time. Move it back a little if necessary.
2. increase her physical activity during the day (to make her more hungry)
3. I don't know what she is drinking throughout the day or what snacks she has but you may need to stop snacks earlier before dinner time.

I hope that helps.

Stephanie said...

My doctor told me that at this age, he's happy if they eat one good meal a day, as long as you're offering them all three meals. He said to pay attention to which meal is their big meal, and use this time to encourage the healthy foods/new foods, etc. Diego's meal is breakfast, so I am focusing on making it a well rounded meal and not worrying about the rest of the meals as much. Also, I told you how he was anemic at his last appt. I've noticed an increase in his appetite since he's been taking iron. I'd give you a list of foods with good iron, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Stephanie said...

By the way...my mother-in-law used to give Diego Pediasure all the time. When he was having it daily, or twice daily while she watched him he was eating less meals for me. They are a good supplement for nutrition, and I'm not against them, I'd just say to serve them along with a meal, maybe 4oz at a time or so. Just a thought. Every kid is different!

Mike and Michelle said...

Oh my gosh! I am so glad to hear that Kamryn doesn't eat either. Well, not really that's not good, but I completely understand. I've been so stressed about it today! All McKay ate today was a banana. He was such a good eater until about 4 months ago, now I can't get him to eat anything!

themayerfamily said...

okay, for what it's worth.
*toddlers only need 1TBS per item to get full.(I learned this in my children's nutrition class)
*Getting her involved is a great idea
*simple verses complex. You know if she just likes chicken verses chicken cordonblue
*It's a fact that most children have to be EXPOSED to foods at least 10 times before they will even try it.
*Don't make a big deal out of it. Just keep trying foods--even if you think she doesn't like that one in particular.(this came from from a speech pathologist who works on eating problems at the hospital)
* avoid strong flavors. Kids have a more sensative smell.
*If she wants to eat only one thing and it's relatively healthy, let her. If PB&J is what she asks for at lunch time every day--it's o.k. She'll grow out of it.
*Try the usual "ants on a log" or something like that. There is a good book called, I won't ever, no Never eat a Tomato

So, I'm not an expert, but that's what I remember. If you can give me some suggestions on how to get a 19 month old to eat anything so I don't always have to push pediasure(which, by the way, is a complete meal) through a tube, let me know!

Amy said...

Thanks to everyone for the awesome advice. I think I may do this more often. Anyone else, feel free to give your tidbit of info. I'm willing to try anything. You guys have made me feel a lot better. :-)

Silvestre Family said...

Bella also goes through phases. Im sure this will pass. What I've done is when I know she's being difficult i won't give her snacks and I limit the juice/ water. Then when its time to eat I make myself a large plate and sit her next to me. I start to eat and I tell her how good it is. That gets her curious. After a few bites from my plate I ask her if she wants any... sure enough she usually will eat a whole serving herself! For some reason children think whatever mama has is much better than what they have (even when its the same food!)